Deal #859

Location #1

Spatial accuracy level
Administrative region
Location
Tizimín, Yuc., Mexico

Target country
Mexico

Land area

Size under contract (leased or purchased area, in ha)
[2014] 6396
Size in operation (production, in ha)
[2014] 6396
Comment on land area
The land is located near the town of Tizimin in the State of Yucatan. Company: "We currently operate two farms located in Mexico under joint ownership arrangements: the first farm comprises 5,149 acres; the second farm, consisting of 3,700 acres. The first farm is fully planted and is expected to produce its first commercial quantities of Jatropha seeds in 2011. We anticipate that the second farm will substantially be planted by the end of the third quarter of 2011." The company also owns a 400 acre Jatropha research farm in Belize (currently inactive).

Intention of investment

Intention of investment
Biofuels

Nature of the deal

Nature of the deal
Outright Purchase
Comment on nature of the deal
F (JOINT OWNERSHIP AGREEMENT)

Negotiation status

Negotiation status
[2008] Concluded (Contract signed)
Comment on negotiation status
The company was waiting for its first harvest. Company: "Our Tizimin operations are eligible for agricultural and other subsidies provided to certain farming operations by the federal government of Mexico. We have applied and have been approved for over $900,000 in subsidies. To date we have received $565,000 and expect to receive the balance in 2011 and 2012. In the first quarter of 2011, we received $172,000 of those subsidies. These subsidies will help defray some of the initial start-up costs that we have incurred in establishing these farms."

Implementation status

Implementation status
[2009] In operation (production)

Operating company

Comment on investment chain
Global Clean Energy Holdings, Inc. (GCEH) is a California-based energy agri-business producing non-food based bio-fuel feedstock, commercializinf oil and biomass derived from the seeds of Jatropha. In 2008, GCEH entered into a limited liability company agreement to form GCE Mexico I, LLC (GCE Mexico) along with six unaffiliated investors. The Company owns 50% of the common membership interest of GCE Mexico. GCE Mexico owns a 99% interest in Asideros Globales Corporativo (Asideros) and a 99% interest in Asideros 2, entities organized under the laws of Mexico, and the Company owns the remaining 1% directly. GCE Mexico was organized primarily to acquire land in Mexico through subsidiaries for the cultivation of the Jatropha plant. Domestic partners: Mexican feredal government (subventions)

 

Network of parent companies and tertiary investors/lenders. Please right-click the nodes to get more details.

Legend
  • Is parent company of
  • Is tertiary investor/lender of
  • Left-click to reveal related parent companies and tertiary investors/lenders.
  • Right-click on investors to get more information.
  • Left-click to hide related parent companies and tertiary investors/lenders.

Data source #1

Data source type
Research Paper / Policy Report
File
Comment on data source
"Chi paga il prezzo dei carburanti verdi. La corsa ai biocarburanti si scontra con la scarsita di terre arabili. I paesi industrializzati vanno alla ricerca el suolo nei paesi del Sud del mondo. Cosa succede in Italia.", Actionaid (Italy) Report about agrofuels in the south

Data source #2

Data source type
Media report
File
Date
2011-01-01

Data source #3

Data source type
Company sources
File

Data source #4

Data source type
Research Paper / Policy Report
File

Data source #5

Data source type
Media report
File

Data source #6

Data source type
Media report
File

Data source #7

Data source type
Media report
File

Detailed crop, animal and mineral information

Crops area
Jatropha

Use of produce

Has export
Yes

In country processing of produce

In country processing of produce
Yes
Comment on in country processing of produce
AGF (Agrofuel production)

Overall comment

Overall comment
Import of error check - Reviewer's overview comment: In addition to earn from the sale of non-food based plant oils and biomass, GCEH wants to monetize the carbon credits from the jatropha farms.

March 2, 2018, 8:57 p.m.

overwritten

This version

Compare with previous version

Jan. 29, 2016, 10:05 p.m.

overwritten

Show this version

Compare with previous version

Nov. 28, 2013, 10:37 a.m.

overwritten

Show this version

Compare with previous version

Nov. 26, 2013, 2:13 p.m.

overwritten

Show this version

Compare with previous version

March 20, 2013, 8:20 p.m.

overwritten

Show this version

Compare with previous version

Feb. 15, 2013, 5 p.m.

active

Show this version

First version

There are no comments to this deal yet.

Add a comment

(mandatory)
(mandatory)
(mandatory)

I've read and agree to the Data Policy.