There's a newer version of this deal. Click here to show the latest version.

Deal #1772

Location #1

Spatial accuracy level
Administrative region
Location
Dagana, Senegal

Target country
Senegal
Comment on location
Dagana province

Land area

Intended size (in ha)
5000
Size under contract (leased or purchased area, in ha)
[2007] 5000
Size in operation (production, in ha)
[2007] 6

Intention of investment

Intention of investment
Biofuels, Other (please specify)
Comment on intention of investment
SID Senegal SA entails a specific research project on Jatropha curcas, a plant with potential for energy generation and other applications. Experimental project (possibilities for the improvement of jatropha, its transformation, and the marketing of Jatropha oil).

Nature of the deal

Nature of the deal
Lease

Negotiation status

Negotiation status
[2007] Concluded (Oral Agreement)
Comment on negotiation status
SID Sénégal, the bio-diesel research and development project, comes to its end in June 2012. This project does not present a real business opportunity for biofuels at the moment.

Implementation status

Implementation status
[2012] Project abandoned
[2007] Startup phase (no production)
Comment on implementation status
SID Sénégal, the bio-diesel research and development project, comes to its end in June 2012. This project does not present a real business opportunity for biofuels at the moment

Contract farming

Contract farming
No

Number of domestic jobs created

Jobs created (domestic)
Yes
Current number of jobs (domestic)
[2010] 7

Operating company

Operating company
Comment on investment chain
The project receives scientific support from Gembloux Agro-Bio Tech. Originally Durabilis only had an 80% share, with a local partner retaining the remaining 20% share. In 2010, Durabilis acquired 100% of the shares.

 

Network of parent companies and tertiary investors/lenders. Please right-click the nodes to get more details.

Legend
  • Is parent company of
  • Is tertiary investor/lender of
  • Left-click to reveal related parent companies and tertiary investors/lenders.
  • Right-click on investors to get more information.
  • Left-click to hide related parent companies and tertiary investors/lenders.

Data source #1

Data source type
Research Paper / Policy Report
File
Comment on data source
A Christian Aid report- Growing Pains: The Possibilities and Problems of Biofuels, August 2009

Data source #2

Data source type
Company sources
File
Comment on data source
Durabilis Global Activity Report, 2010-2011

Data source #3

Data source type
Personal information
Date
2015-10-21
Includes in-country-verified information
Yes
Comment on data source
Confirmed that the project is abandoned.

Data source #4

Data source type
Company sources
File
Comment on data source
Durabilis- 2009/2010 Global activity report

Former land owner (not by constitution)

Former land owner
Community
Comment on former land owner
The project is located within the community of Gaé.

Former land use

Former land use
Smallholder agriculture

Former land cover

Former land cover
Cropland
Marginal land

Detailed crop, animal and mineral information

Crops area
Jatropha

In country processing of produce

In country processing of produce
Yes
Comment on in country processing of produce
AGF (Agrofuel production)-- for research

Water extraction envisaged

Water extraction envisaged
Yes

Source of water extraction

Source of water extraction
Surface water (River)
Comment on source of water extraction
Senegal River

Overall comment

Overall comment
SID Senegal SA entails a specific research project on Jatropha. Experimental project (possibilities for the improvement of jatropha, its transformation, and the marketing of Jatropha oil). Experimental project within the community of Gaé.

Dec. 9, 2019, 11:43 a.m.

overwritten

Show this version

Compare with previous version

May 4, 2016, 1:56 p.m.

overwritten

Show this version

Compare with previous version

Oct. 28, 2015, 12:35 p.m.

overwritten

This version

Compare with previous version

April 29, 2013, 1:52 p.m.

overwritten

Show this version

Compare with previous version

March 20, 2013, 1:44 p.m.

overwritten

Show this version

Compare with previous version

Feb. 15, 2013, 5:02 p.m.

active

Show this version

First version