Deal history comparison #5862

Previous version (137351)

Selected version (137373)

Location #1

Spatial accuracy level
Exact location
Location
Mongton, Myanmar (Burma)

Latitude
20.608084197705363
Longitude
98.58920620617062
Target country
Myanmar
Comment on location
Mong Tom Dam (Tasang Dam) 19 Km uptstream Wan Hsa La Village in Mong Ton Township, Shan State

Location #1

Spatial accuracy level
Exact location
Location
Mongton, Myanmar (Burma)

Latitude
20.608084197705363
Longitude
98.58920620617062
Target country
Myanmar
Comment on location
Mong Tom Dam (Tasang Dam) 19 Km uptstream Wan Hsa La Village in Mong Ton Township, Shan State

Land area

Intended size (in ha)
87,000

Intention of investment

Intention of investment
Renewable Energy

Negotiation status

Negotiation status
[2010] Concluded (Contract signed)
Comment on negotiation status
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed in 2010. Another MoU signed in 2015

Land area

Intended size (in ha)
87,000

Intention of investment

Intention of investment
Renewable Energy
Comment on intention of investment
Hydropower project

Nature of the deal

Nature of the deal
Lease

Negotiation status

Negotiation status
[2010] Intended (Expression of interest)
Comment on negotiation status
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed in 2010. Another MoU signed in 2015

Implementation status

Implementation status
Project not started

Contract #1

Contract date
2015-06-01
Duration of the agreement (in years)
30

Operating company

Name of investment project
Mong Tom Dam (Tasang Dam) on Thanlwin River

Operating company

Name of investment project
Mong Tom Dam (Tasang Dam) on Thanlwin River

Data source #1

Data source type
Research Paper / Policy Report
File
Date
2011-01-01
Comment on data source
The Burma Environmental Working Group (BEWG). 2011. BURMA’S ENVIRONMENT: PEOPLE, PROBLEMS, POLICIES

Data source #2

Data source type
Company sources
File
Date
2013-01-01
Comment on data source
Upper Thanlwin Hydropower Project (Mong Ton) Website

Data source #3

Data source type
Other (Please specify in comment field)
File
Date
2008-08-18
Comment on data source
Burma Rivers Network plattform

Data source #4

Data source type
Research Paper / Policy Report
File
Date
2016-03-01
Comment on data source
Salween Watch Commission. 2016. Current Status of Dam Projects on the Salween River

Data source #5

Data source type
Company sources
File
Date
2016-01-01
Comment on data source
EGAT International Annual Report 2016

Data source #6

Data source type
Company sources
File
Date
2017-01-01
Comment on data source
EGAT International website

Data source #1

Data source type
Research Paper / Policy Report
File
Date
2011-01-01
Comment on data source
The Burma Environmental Working Group (BEWG). 2011. BURMA’S ENVIRONMENT: PEOPLE, PROBLEMS, POLICIES

Data source #2

Data source type
Company sources
File
Date
2013-01-01
Comment on data source
Upper Thanlwin Hydropower Project (Mong Ton) Website

Data source #3

Data source type
Other (Please specify in comment field)
File
Date
2008-08-18
Comment on data source
Burma Rivers Network plattform

Data source #4

Data source type
Research Paper / Policy Report
File
Date
2016-03-01
Comment on data source
Salween Watch Commission. 2016. Current Status of Dam Projects on the Salween River

Data source #5

Data source type
Company sources
File
Date
2016-01-01
Comment on data source
EGAT International Annual Report 2016

Data source #6

Data source type
Company sources
File
Date
2017-01-01
Comment on data source
EGAT International website. Contains shareholder information

How did the community react?

Community reaction
Rejection

Displacement of people

Number of people actually displaced
60,000
Comment on displacement of people
forced relocation in the dam area due to military conflict between 1996 and 1998. Conflict not only because of dam plannings

How did the community react?

Community reaction
Rejection

Displacement of people

Number of people actually displaced
60,000
Comment on displacement of people
forced relocation in the dam area due to military conflict between 1996 and 1998. Conflict not only because of dam plannings

Former land cover

Former land cover
Forest land

Former land cover

Former land cover
Forest land

Use of produce

Has domestic use
Yes
Domestic use
10
Has export
Yes
Export
90
Country 1
Myanmar
Country 1 ratio
10
Country 2
Thailand
Country 2 ratio
90
Comment on use of produce
Company source: "90% of the electricity generated will then be sent to be sold to Thailand (EGAT to purchase), the other 10% to the Government of Myanmar without charge."

Use of produce

Has domestic use
Yes
Domestic use
10
Has export
Yes
Export
90
Country 1
Myanmar
Country 1 ratio
10
Country 2
Thailand
Country 2 ratio
90
Comment on use of produce
Company source: "90% of the electricity generated will then be sent to be sold to Thailand (EGAT to purchase), the other 10% to the Government of Myanmar without charge."